ORDERING ONLINE - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
PRICES AND DISCOUNTS
- Are your prices and offers the same on your website as they are in your store?
- Most of our prices are the same whether you buy in store or online. However, we frequently offer exclusive deals to our online customers which always represent great value. To make sure you don’t miss out, sign up to our mailing list at the bottom of the home page
- Do you offer a case discount?
- Yes! When you order a total of six bottles you get 10% off all eligible wines. When you make it 12, you save 15%. Even if some of the wines in your basket aren't eligible for a discount, you'll still save on the ones that are - it's the total number of bottles purchased that counts.
- Which wines are and aren't eligible for case discounts?
While most wines have three different prices which save you money when you place a larger order, there are some exceptions:
Champagne only has two prices – the regular bottle price and the 10% off price.
Fine Wine only has one price – the regular bottle price (which is the same as our trade price and always the best we can offer).
Wines already on special offer don’t qualify for a further discount.
But remember, you can still use any of the above to make your total up to six or twelve bottles and save on the other wines in your basket. Whatever you buy, you’ll always get the best discount possible on individual wines.
- Can I buy fine wine, Champagne and wines on special offer as part of my mixed case?
- Yes, absolutely. You can make up your mixed case of six or twelve with any bottles of any size or type from our entire range. You’ll always get the best discount you are eligible for on all your items individually. It's the total number of bottles ordered that counts.
- So there isn’t any further discount on fine wine? Why not?
- Our fine wine pricing is among the best in the country and, unlike our competitors, we don’t want to force people to buy a whole case to get a reasonable rate. When we first set up our shop one of our main aims was to have the best range of fine wine by the single bottle available anywhere, and we stick by it. That’s why we only have one price for fine wine, whether you’re a restaurant buying 10 cases, or a regular wine enthusiast buying one bottle – and it’s always the best, case price.
- What is classified as fine wine?
- Good question. There’s no simple answer, but as far as we’re concerned and broadly speaking it’s most things that are either over £60 a bottle or from producers whose wine is traded regularly on the fine wine market. If that sounds vague, don’t worry – Fine Wine is badged around the site so you can easily recognise it.
- What about case discounts for Champagne?
- Champagne being what it is, the prices we can charge are dictated to us by the producers. Unfortunately we are not able to offer 15% off, but you do still save 10% on any Champagne in your basket when you’re buying six or more bottles from the entire range.
- What about half-bottles and magnums? How far do they count towards a mixed case?
- Any bottle of any size counts as one bottle, so whether you’re buying six halves or six double magnums, your discount is the same.
- Are all the wines on your site available to buy in your store?
- Not necessarily. Some of our wines are stored elsewhere. If you wish to collect your order from the store, please place your order online and select ‘I will collect my order from the Kensington High Street store’ at the checkout. We will then email you when it is ready to pick up. If you are in a hurry to buy a particular wine please call the store on 0207 371 2121 to check availability before making a special journey.
- Can I reserve wines to buy in store?
- You can only reserve wines if you pay for them first. If you wish to collect your order from the store, please place your order online and select ‘I will collect my order from the Kensington High Street store’ at the checkout. We will then email you when it is ready to pick up.
- Why are some stocks listed as taking longer than others to despatch?
- Some of our wine is stored in separate ‘bonded’ warehouses. These bottles take up to five working days to transfer before they can be delivered. If your order includes wines in bond, the delivery will be held back until it is all ready to send.
- The wine I want is out of stock. Can you get some more for me?
- If you require more bottles of a particular wine than we currently have in stock, please contact us. Depending on the wine, we can often order additional quantities for delivery within a few days.
- Are the photographs on the website of the actual bottles I will receive?
- No, our photographs are for illustrative purposes only and do not necessarily represent the condition of the particular bottle you will receive. Particularly with older wine, levels and the condition of labels vary. Even with younger wines, labels are sometimes redesigned and we will often use the same photograph to represent different vintages or minor variations. If you would like more information on the condition of a particular bottle please contact us in advance.
- Do you have a minimum order?
- No. You can buy anything from a single half-bottle upwards.
- Which payment methods do you accept?
We accept most credit and debit cards for payment through our website. This is by far the easiest way to pay.
If you wish especially to pay by another method, for example over the telephone or by bank transfer, this can sometimes be arranged. Please contact us for more information.
- My order is a gift. Can I add a message and gift packaging? Is the price shown?
- We sell a range of gift boxes that hold various numbers of bottles. If you add gift boxes to your order we will make sure the wine is sent out packed in them. To add a message, check the ‘This order is a gift’ box at the basket stage. We will print your message on to a specially designed card and attach it with your order, free of charge. No pricing information is included with any delivery - your receipt is emailed to you.
- When will my card be charged?
- When you check out we will temporarily authorise your card for the full amount of your order. These funds may be frozen but will not be debited from your account until we send you an email to confirm that your order is ready for despatch or collection. Your order is only complete and funds are only debited at this point.
- Do I have to pay V.A.T. on orders for delivery outside the U.K.?
- V.A.T. is charged on all orders for delivery within the E.U. Orders for delivery outside the E.U. are V.A.T. exempt. When you place an order online for delivery outside the E.U., the original total you see includes V.A.T. but excludes a delivery charge. Once you place your order we will contact you with a revised quotation excluding V.A.T. and including a tailored delivery charge to give you the best possible price . Your card will not be debited until you have approved this revised total, although funds may be temporarily frozen pending release.
- How do I alter my order before it is despatched?
- If you wish to change or cancel your order please let us know as soon as possible. You can get in touch by replying to your order confirmation email, using the contact us page or calling 0207 381 7870.
- What do you do with my personal information?
- We only use your personal information for processing your order. If you opt to receive offers from us via email we will send these out too, but you will be given the option to unsubscribe in every email we send. We will never give your personal information to a third party.
- Where do you deliver?
We deliver wine all over the world, but non-wine items such as gift packaging are restricted to U.K. delivery addresses only.
Online orders for delivery to most E.U. countries will be approved immediately. For deliveries to the rest of the world we will need to obtain a quote for delivery and there will be a delay after your order is placed until we contact you to take payment.
- What delivery options can I choose from?
Depending on where you live and what you have ordered you may be able to choose from a number of delivery options.
For most items being delivered to most of the U.K. the default option is our express, next working day service. Orders placed before 12pm using this service will be delivered on the following working day. If this is not convenient, you can choose a different weekday for delivery at no additional cost, or a Saturday delivery for a surcharge of £15.00.
Certain non-wine items, such as gift vouchers and tasting tickets, are available for delivery by email only, while others, such as Wine Club membership and accessories are delivered within a certain number of working days, with no option to specify an exact date.
Orders for delivery to remote parts of the U.K. and other countries are all delivered within a certain number of working days, with no option to specify an exact date.
- When is the cut-off for next day delivery?
Our cut-off is at 12pm. Orders to most of the U.K. placed before that time are eligible for delivery on the next working day.
Please note, we do not despatch orders at weekends or on public holidays. Therefore, any orders placed after 12pm on a Friday, for example, will be despatched on the following Monday and delivered on Tuesday.
- How much do you charge for delivery?
Express (next working day) delivery to most of the U.K. is free for orders of £100 or more. For orders under £100 there is a charge of £7.50.
Saturday deliveries carry a surcharge of £15.00.
Orders for delivery to remote parts of the U.K. and other countries are charged by the case. See our international delivery charges table for details.
Certain non-wine items, such as gift vouchers, tasting tickets and Roberson Wine Club membership have delivery included in the price.
- At what time will my order be delivered? Can I request delivery at a certain time?
Deliveries may be made at any time during office hours on the specified delivery date (except for Saturday deliveries, which are made before 12pm).
Unfortunately it is not possible for us to be more specific or for you to request a particular time for delivery online. However, if you call us on 020 7381 7870 before placing your order we can usually organise timed morning deliveries for an additional charge.
- Do you offer same day delivery?
- Currently not online, but if you call us on 020 7381 7870 before placing your order we can organise a same day courier for an additional charge (to certain areas of London only and depending on the location of the stock you wish to order).
- My order has not arrived. Where is it?
- We work very hard to despatch all orders on time and in the vast majority of cases (over 99%) our deliveries reach their destinations on the estimated delivery date. Occasionally, however, delays occur, particularly when the courier network is exceptionally busy. If you feel your delivery is taking longer than it should and the tracking information doesn’t help, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- How can I track my order?
- When your order is scheduled for despatch, you will receive an email containing tracking information where it is available. If you registered for an account with us, you can also log in, view the status of your order and retrieve tracking information on robersonwine.com.
- Will my order arrive in its original packaging?
- Not usually. We repack most wines in inflatable packaging to offer the maximum possible protection from breakages. Occasionally, where the original packaging is particularly secure, we will leave it as it is.
- What should I do with the inflatable packaging?
- Our inflatable packaging is designed to hold its air for up to two years and may be reused. Alternatively, it can be flattened by puncturing each chamber, then recycled.
- If I am not in to receive my order can you leave it elsewhere?
- Certainly, but this is at your own risk and we need your permission. Please use the ‘Additional delivery instructions’ field when you check out to give details.
- You attempted to deliver but I was out. How can I rearrange delivery?
If you received a card from our courier you can call them directly and organise redelivery. Their contact information can be found on the card. Please note that if you fail to rearrange the delivery with them the order may be returned to us and we will have to charge an additional fee to send it out again.
If you received a note from our own driver, please contact us and we will set up a convenient time to redeliver.
- Can I collect my order from your store?
- Yes. Simply select this option when you check out. Please bear in mind that some wines may take extra time to be transferred from our warehouse. We will notify you by email as soon as your order is ready to collect. Please bring photographic I.D. and the card you used to pay for your order.
- How are tasting tickets and gift vouchers delivered?
- Tasting tickets and gift vouchers are delivered by email.
CANCELATIONS, RETURNS AND PROBLEMS
- I have changed my mind. Can I cancel my order?
- Under the U.K. Distance Selling Regulations you are entitled to cancel your order and receive a full refund (including delivery charges) up to seven working days after your good are delivered. If you wish to do this, please within that time. Please note that you will be liable for the costs of returning the goods to us, and they must be in a saleable condition.
- My order arrived broken, what do I do?
- Please always check your delivery carefully before signing for it. If your order arrives damaged and you accept delivery you must note this with the delivery driver when signing for it. Alternatively, you may refuse delivery and the entire order will be returned to us. In either case, please call us straight away on 020 7381 7870. We will endeavour to send out a replacement or organise a refund as soon as possible.
- I received a different vintage or wine to the one I ordered, what can I do about it?
- Outside the fine wine range, where vintages can make a vast difference to the value of a particular bottle, we stock a great many wines which we order continuously from one year to the next. These wines tend to have comparatively little vintage variation and remain essentially the same (both in style and price) over the course of several years. Accordingly, the vintages of these regular lines often change without warning and, while we try to keep the site as up-to-date as possible, we cannot guarantee the availability of specific vintages. We will endeavour to notify you before we send out your order if the vintage requested is unavailable, but should you receive a vintage you do not want, or if we mistakenly send you the wrong wine please contact us. We will either offer you the correct wine as a replacement (if available) or have the wine returned to us and issue a full refund.
- The wine I ordered is faulty. Can I return it?
- Unfortunately, there is a risk inherent in any purchase of wine and even the most expensive bottles can suffer from certain unavoidable and unpredictable faults. In the event of a non-fine wine being corked or otherwise faulty we will offer a full refund or replacement once the bottle is returned to us for examination (up to 90 days from the date of purchase). We will not give a refund or replacement in the event that a wine has been open too long or improperly stored. You will be liable for the cost of returning the wine. Because of the nature of the secondary market, fine wines (i.e. those over £60 a bottle) are sold as seen and no refunds or replacements can be given in the event of a fault.
- Do you sell gift vouchers?
- Yes, we sell gift vouchers which you can use both in our Kensington High Street store and on this website. You may specify any amount of £5.00 or more and your voucher will be posted along with your own message printed on to a specially designed card.
- How are gift vouchers delivered?
- Gift vouchers are delivered by email.
- How do I redeem a gift voucher online?
- Each voucher has a unique code which can be entered at the checkout just before you proceed to the payment screen. You can enter multiple codes here if you have more than one voucher.
- What happens if I do not redeem the full value of my voucher?
- Your voucher code remains valid and any remainder is stored under that code for you to use later. Simply enter the code again the next time you check out and any available balance will be redeemed against your order.
- How long are gift vouchers valid for?
- Gift vouchers are valid for one year from the date of purchase.
- What is the Roberson Wine Club and how do I sign up?
The Roberson Wine Club is a subscription service for interesting, unusual, and just downright great wine. Members receive a mixed case of six bottles every two months for a charge of £99. All the wines are specially chosen by us as being particularly outstanding, and some are from special parcels available only to Roberson Wine Club members. Each case contains full information on all the producers, food matching suggestions and tasting notes, making the Roberson Wine Club a great way to taste and discover new and interesting wines from our unrivalled selection.
To sign up now, visit the main Roberson Wine Club page.
- What other benefits come with membership?
- As well as a bi-monthly selection of amazing wine, members are entitled to 10% off our single bottle prices in store and online (excludes Fine Wine and wines on special offer). They also get free tickets to selected Roberson walkabout wine tastings in our Kensington store (at least three per year).
- When do you charge my card and when do I get my wine?
- When you first sign up for Roberson Wine Club membership your card is charged £99.00. This covers your welcome pack, which will be sent out shortly afterwards, and your first case of wine which will follow just after the next renewal date (but note - if you sign up less than a week before a renewal date, your first case will be the one after that). Subsequent charges are made automatically on the first Tuesday in December, February, April, June, August and October with cases being sent out later that week.
- How do I cancel my membership or skip a case?
- You can cancel your membership or skip a case at any time. You just need to let us know at least a week before the next renewal date (which fall on the first Tuesday of December, February, April, June, August and October. When you cancel your membership all benefits cease immediately and you will no longer be charged. However, you can reopen your account at any time without having to sign up again. To cancel or skip a case contact us.
- How am I charged?
- When you first sign up you pay the initial £99.00 with a credit or debit card. Your card details are stored securely by PayPoint, our payment provider. On each renewal date, we will ask PayPoint to repeat the transaction using the same card details (as long as you have not cancelled or opted out of a case as described above). Should we be unable to obtain authorisation from your bank, we will contact you for an alternative payment method and your delivery may be delayed.
- Are there any additional delivery charges?
- Delivery to most of the U.K. mainland (Zones 0-1 in our delivery charges table (PDF 77KB) is included. Delivery to other U.K. addresses will carry an additional charge and we will contact you after you place your first order to confirm these. Please contact us if you need more information. We regret that Wine Club membership is currently available to U.K. addresses only.
- Can I specify a preference for a particular wine or style?
- Unfortunately, no. To keep things simple and best represent our favourite wines, we choose the wine for you, always including a mixture of colours and styles to give members the chance to try a wide range of different things.
- Can I purchase a subscription as a gift?
- Certainly. Just proceed through the checkout as normal. You can specify any recipient and delivery address you like and add a free gift card. By default, the welcome pack will be sent out right away to the recipient, but if you wish to have it sent to you instead so you can give it yourself, please specify this and your address in the delivery instructions box.
- Can I purchase a fixed number of months as a gift?
- Yes, you can pay in advance for any number of months and choose not to have the subscription renew. To do this, hit the 'Sign Me Up' button on the main Wine Club page. This will add a Roberson Wine Club subscription to your basket. Now change the quantity to the number of months you require and check out as normal. Please let us know that you don't want the subscription to renew by noting this in the delivery instructions box.
- How does the 10% discount work?
- When you join, we will send you a unique code which can be used on our website or in our shop to give you 10% off our standard single bottle prices and our tasting tickets. This excludes fine wine, wines on special offer or orders which already have a case discount.
- What about these free tastings?
- Roberson Wine Club members get free access to selected Roberson Wine Tastings (at least three a year). Members will be emailed and will need to book their places before a specified deadline. Typically, the tastings available to members will be our Roberson Walkabouts, which take place at our shop on Kensington High Street.
- How do I change my details or update my password?
- You can change your account and address details, edit your email preferences and update your password by clicking the ‘Account’ link at the top left of the site while logged in and navigating through the side menu.
- How do I close my account?
- You can close your account at any time. While logged in, click the ‘Account’ link in the top left of the site. Click ‘Personal Details’ in the side menu. On the right you will find a link to close your account. Please note that this cannot be undone.
TRADE CUSTOMERS, FINE WINE IN BOND AND EN PRIMEUR
- I am a trade customer, where do I find information relevant to me?
- We have a separate website dedicated to trade customers.
- Do you sell fine wine in bond?
- We do sell fine wine in bond, but through our separate, trade website
- Do you sell en primeur?
- Yes, we do sell en primeur. Details of any current campaigns and general information can be found on our separate, trade website
STAYING IN TOUCH
- Who do I contact if I have a question about my order?
If you registered for an account with us, all your orders will have a dedicated contact assigned to them. While logged in, click the ‘Account’ link in the top left of the site to view your orders. Click ‘View details’ to see all the information associated with that order, including the person to contact and a direct link to their email address.
Alternatively, you can call us on 0207 381 7870, use the contact us form or reply to the confirmation email we sent when you placed your order.
- Who do I contact with another enquiry?
- Please see the contact us page for information on how to get hold of us.
- How can I keep up-to-date with all your latest news, offers and tastings?
- We send out regular news, offers and information about our tastings via email. Please use the subscription form at the bottom of the home page. You will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe in any message we send you, and we will not pass your details on to anybody else. For the inside scoop you can also follow us on Twitter, add us on Facebook or check out our blog.