Happy Christmas from Roberson.
Every year, once I have downed around half a bottle of Burgundy, I feel prepared to set the annual quiz. Marks are deducted for picking apart my questions and general facaetiousness.
Please find below a small section for you to ponder over during this quiet lull between Christmas and the New Year.
1. Who founded Penfolds Grange? In what year?
2. What 1990′s vintages were famously disappointing for:
i) Mouton Rothschild
ii) Denis Mortet
3. Put the following Napa wines in ascending price order for the 1997 vintage:
i) Harlan Estate
ii) Screaming Eagle
iii) Shafer Hillside Select
iv) Peter Michael Les Pavots
4. Which Rhone producer, famous for parting company with his old family domaine when it was taken over by the Frey family, said that Mark had a face ‘like a baby’?
5. Olivier Leflaive is what relation to Anne-Claude
6. Patrick Essa at Domaine Buisson Charles is related to a famous Meursault-based grower, who?
7. Name 5 Bordeaux properties owned by Gerard Perse.
8. Name 5 Chapoutier Selection Parcellaire wines.
9. What is a Marie Jeanne?
10. Who makes Bin 60A and from what grape?
11. What wines are Benjamin Romeo associated with?
12. Where is the Bordeaux wine Marojallia made?
13. Peter Michael owns a restaurant and hotel in England, where?
14. What is a Vaslin?
15. What is the oldest bottle for sale in Roberson?
16. Why was Homer’s line: ‘The wine dark sea’ important to historians?
17. What was the favourite wine of Napolean?
19. James Joyce?
20. The favourite tipple of Hunter S Thompson
21. Francis Bacon
22. Who makes the Sauternes Cuvee Madame?
23. What is proposed to go through the heart of the Mosel valley?
24. Which way should the Port be passed?
Bonne Chance, see you in 2010!