WINES FROM WEINGUT ST. URBANS-HOF
Although vineyards had belonged to the Weis family for centuries, Nicolaus Weis (vintage 1905, Nik Weis' grandfather) founded the winery in 1947. In the early years he built cellars and winery buildings on a hill on Leiwen's periphery. He named his estate for the patron saint of German winemakers, St. Urban, and 'hof' (the German word for 'estate'), St. Urban's Estate.
The larger part of St. Urbans-Hof 's holdings are located upon steeply-sloped hills in the Mosel and Saar valleys, mostly facing these valley's rivers. Located at the 50th parallel, the Mosel is one of the world's most northerly wine regions.